What are behavioural interview questions?
Behavioural interview questions are designed to help employers understand an applicant’s behaviour and gain insight into how applicants have handled previous situations in the workplace. Behavioural interview questions typically focus on professional scenarios and will often ask you how you would react in a given setting or situation. These questions help employers understand an applicant’s skills, abilities or traits and what value an applicant can bring to the table. Behavioural interview questions can also help employers predict future behaviour and how applicants may interact with other team members. We’ve prepared this guide to help you excel in your next job interview!
Behavioural Interview Example Questions
We recommend going through this list and dedicating some time to practice your answers. It’s important to give yourself enough preparation time for your job interview: Being well-prepared is key to overcoming pre-interview jitters, and by regularly practicing these questions on a daily basis, ideally a week or two before your interview, you'll boost your confidence levels and enhance your chances of a successful interview.
Here's the list:
Behavioural Questions: Adaptability
- Can you talk about a time where you wished you reacted differently in a professional setting?
- How did you organise your day and manage your time effectively when working on multiple projects?
- Can you share an experience where you had to quickly learn something new?
- Describe a time where you were able to solve a problem using an unconventional approach.
Behavioural Questions: Communication
- How did you go about communicating an idea that others didn’t understand?
- Can you share an experience when you chose not to listen, and what were the consequences that followed? What would you do differently next time?
- Can you discuss a time where you had to say “no” to a coworker or colleague?
- Can you recall a time where you had to present in front of an audience? How did you prepare?
Behavioural Questions: Decision-Making
- Can you describe a time where you used logic to overcome a problem in the workplace?
- Can you discuss a risky decision you made that had a successful outcome?
- Share a situation when you had to make a decision with limited information available. How did you approach the situation?
- Can you talk about a time when you went with your gut feeling?
Behavioural Questions: Goals
- Could you share an experience where you faced a situation where you couldn't fulfill a promise you made?
- How do you approach the process of setting attainable goals for yourself and your team?
- Can you tell me about a time when you had to rally your colleagues to support your ideas and work towards a common goal?
- Describe a situation when you decided to abandon a goal for valid reasons.
Behavioural Questions: Motivation & Values
- What strategies do you use to find motivation when you lack interest or enthusiasm in a project?
- Have you ever faced a situation where you were asked to do something that clashed with your personal values?
- Can you recall a time when you successfully persuaded someone to engage in an activity or idea they initially didn't believe in?
- Describe an instance when you felt dissatisfied with the work you were doing. How did you cope with it?
Behavioural Questions: Personal Development
- Have you ever been overlooked for a promotion? How did you respond to the situation?
- Could you share details about the most significant professional opportunity you have ever had?
- Describe an instance when you aimed too high or too low in a professional setting.
- Can you recount a time when your personal development hit a plateau? How did you address it?
- What was the most significant setback you faced in your career, and how did you recover from it?
Behavioural Questions: Stress Management
- Can you describe an experience when you faced an exceedingly challenging deadline?
- Describe a situation where you excelled in your work despite being under significant pressure.
- Tell me about a time when you successfully completed a project despite not having all the necessary resources required.
- Discuss a time when you felt that you were in a professional crisis.
Behavioural Questions: Teamwork
- What's the most surprising insight you've gained from working in a team?
- Discuss a time when your team was working effectively to achieve a goal.
- Have you ever had to work with a manager or colleague that had a conflicting approach to a problem? How did you cope?
- Discuss a time when you had a personality clash with a colleague and how you navigated that situation.
Behavioural Questions: Time Management
- Can you share an experience when your professional routine was disrupted?
- How do you prioritise what needs to be done within a project schedule?
- Can you recall a situation when it became evident that you wouldn't be able to meet a deadline? How did you navigate this situation?
- Tell me about a time when you faced challenges in keeping a long-term project on track.